Friday, December 11, 2020

EULOCA RECHARGEABLE CREE XPG2 R5 LED SPOTLIGHT

 

Back in March of this year, I was in the market for a combo spotlight/lantern that was reasonably powerful, extremely light-weight, waterproof and long lasting.

So like everyone else on the planet, I started doing some looking for it on amazon.  Took me about 3 days to narrow down my search to 2 different units.  Since I couldn't really decide on either so I ordered both.

This unit was the one that won out in head to head use.

For starters the CREE XPG2 R5 LED was right on target in the lightweight requirement.  Weighing in at 0.95 pounds, its the lightest lantern/spotlight I have ever used.  

Its like it is not even there its that lightweight.

But don't let its lightweight stature fool you.  This little guy packs some punch.  It has a max brightness of 650 lumen, 6000k daylight white brightness and provides that brightness over a beam of 1640 ft.  Definitely bright enough to aid in whatever you might be doing in the dark but not blindingly bright.  There is also a switch to where you can use a 300 lumen setting to conserve your battery power.  

Part of me was initially skeptical of its lightweight because in order to help achieve that light weight, cheaper plastics are often used.  And cheap plastic often equates to broken equipment and as an outdoorsman, broken equipment is the last thing I want or need anytime, home or the water.  

I've always been an adherent of the adage, "if you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you".  

I knew that I'd be putting this lantern/spotlight through its paces over the course of this year and can honestly attest to its resilience after nearly 9 months of use, its held up amazingly well.  

Which brings me squarely to the next part of this review.  

Its long lastingness.  I've only had to charge this unit twice in 9 months.  

Really.  Granted, the time actually spent using it

amounts to mere minutes of use each day, that is still a pretty decent length of time to go between recharges.  My understanding of this unit was that it was manufactured for people living in hurricane prone areas and for use when the power goes out.

The searchlight has a built in 2600mAh 18650 battery which you can charge by USB port, with a supplied USB cable, a variety of different  ways as portrayed in the graphic to the right.

The battery also serves as power bank for your smart phone of other mobile device in the event of an emergency.  

There are 4 blue LED's on the back of the unit that indicate the power levels when the unit is turned on.  When the last indicator is left alight, its time to recharge the unit.  That simple

So far, it has seemed to me that the charging process is actually pretty quick.  Usually only takes an hour or so to charge the battery via USB connections through my computer, so while I am doing my blog articles, I can charge it and have it ready for evening use.

The next aspect of my requirements for a spotlight/lantern were it needed to be waterproof. 

 I cannot say I have actually had this unit completely submerged, but I can say I have had it in use during heavy rainstorms out on the lake and its performed like a champ.  No issues whatsoever.

The only real cons  or issues I have with this unit is that its almost too lightweight.  A good stiff wind can and will blow it across the ground or dock/pier.  

I quickly found out that I needed to keep it close to or attached to something heavier to prevent it from blowing around.  

I have used the supplied strap and and secured it to my tackleboxes via a d-Ring or an S-ring if the wind is howling.  

Is this a piece of equipment I would recommend?

Absolutely. So far, its proven to me that it is up to the tasks I put to it and has not yet failed in delivering or meeting my expectations.  If I lost this for any reason, I would get another to replace it without batting an eye.

Is it the best on the market?  Couldn't say and would not go so far as to claim that it was.  But it does what I need it to do at a reasonable cost without me having to worry about its reliability....So definitely get one for your vehicles, your boat, you garage etc... well worth the cash

You can BUY IT HERE.  And no I don't get any kickbacks other than the satisfaction of being able to recommend a product that I believe in.  





No comments:

Post a Comment