Monday, February 8, 2021

BOGSTALKER PERSONAL UPDATE: FEB 7 2021


Just a quick update on some happenings going on here and why updates and new blog articles are slower in getting onto the web than previous months.

  • Been super busy getting new crankbaits painted for the 2021 campaigns.  Since I've been leaning towards more natural patterns, its been taking a bit longer than usual as there are more steps involved in getting realistic looking baits painted, sealed and ready for the water.  

  • The above point segues into another facet of my bait painting.  I've been busy painting jigheads, bladebaits, spoons, flashers, dodgers etc. 

    If it can be modded or customized, odds are its here in my shop waiting to get some paint thrown at it. I am absolutely sure that at times I look like a primate screeching and hurling things at bait blanks but thats a story for another day.  

  • The weather needs to be a bit warmer in the coming weeks to get some plastic baits poured.  I don't have an outdoor heated shop so I am at the mercy of the elements. Going to be pouring a lot throughout the year and while I am at it, I'll be taking photos, etc and posting how to articles on how to get it done and finding out what works for your lakes.  There might even be some videos if I can find a video camera that won't break when I look into it.

  • Ordered about 400 new crankbait blanks online in about 6 different styles.  Should be at the Lure Foundry here in a week or two.  Again, mostly natural patterns but there might be a few surprises thrown in there.  Have a lot of requests for specialized baits.  Have a lot of ideas for baits in my personal stash too. Hoping to find some time to get them done.

  • Sitting on about 300-400 different colored and length hoochies.  Obviously, I need to get some of those hoochie rigs made up before the early summer trips to Oahe start.  Still working on wrangling up the other supplies needed for the hoochie rigs.

  • Hagens backordered my order of 5" kwickfish blanks.  Im kind of pissed.  This is like the 4th time they've backordered stuff and it usually takes weeks if not months to get what I ordered.  Probably going to be the last time I order anything bait related from them.  

  • Walleye worm harnesses of all types are going to be in the works and I should have some made up by early April in preparation for  post-spawn walleye fishing.


  • Still working on getting the Spin-n-glow rigs made up.  They're an under-used option for salmon and I want to see if I can manage some Kings or Atlantics on them this year.  

  • Working on some ideas for a new versa-track tarping system for the boat ( ie the Mistress, ie High Plains Drifter).    It will replace the "pvc skeleton" I made up last year to get a better fit to my Tracker Pro V 15DLX.  Having a great fitting tarp can help you shave some mileage off long trips and with as often as I head north, saving mileage and gas is a huge plus which can translate into savings that cover 2-3 extra trips, so yeah, that is a huge deal that I have to get accomplished by late April.  

  • Recently came into possession of a buddy's entire fishing magazine collection.  He was getting ready to move and had 4 decades worth of magazines ranging from In-Fisherman, Bass Master, Bassin, etc.  Have to go through them and get them organized and added to my own library.  Might take a while.  Lots of magazines.  Lots of information I've never seen before, so this is super exciting.  Thanks a bunch Dave Abler!

  • Keeping the goals and objectives I had set at the beginning of the year is obviously a huge deal if I expect to meet them.  Fishing season for me really kicks off at the beginning of March so that is going to do some biting into my time.  Will be travelling to some different lakes and rivers this year so there will be more drive time involved.

  • My real world job is picking up with no end to 60 hour work weeks really in sight.  Not that huge of a deal since I tend to work 60's anyway.  Still usually by early summer, the hours get trimmed back a little and I find a little more time to hit the water.  This year, that might not happen, so I am a bit worried about that.

So obviously, you are catching my drift on the current status of pending updates.  There may a little lag time between articles or posts, but I will definitely get them put up as often as I can. In the meantime, make the most of things and get your gear ready for the upcoming season.  It'll be here before you know it.



No comments:

Post a Comment