Saturday, January 2, 2021

2021: GOALS, TARGETS AND OBJECTIVES

 

Becoming a better angler is not just about getting out and just putting in time.  It really comes down to how much effort you are willing to put out to get better.  But after looking back on the banner year I had in 2020, looking forward at 2021 seems somewhat more intimidating. 

You see, 2020 was a new benchmark year for me, in terms of numbers and size of fish and in a lot of ways, I am not completely sure how I am going to top it.   It will definitely be a challenge.  Between the sheer number of Master Angler Catch and Release fish, the numbers of fish caught,

In order for me to even have a chance at breaking even, I cannot rest on past success.  One thing I've learned is that every year is different than the previous, with differing prevailing conditions.  

Adapt and improve, recognize and improvise, understand, observe and predict...all facets of an unending search for the angling success I am seeking.  I intend to embrace them fully and wholeheartedly and learn as much as I possibly can.

I'm going to have to get some goals targets and objectives put in place and hold myself accountable to make sure they happen and I move steadily and purposefully forward.  Items, I feel, will pay off huge dividends in the future.

I know from past experience that someone saying they are going to change things and then following through with making those changes are usually two completely different tangents. Life happens, old habits die hard, time is fleeting...tired excuses or reasons that do nothing but hold a person back from meeting their true potential.  A person doesn't have to look any further than a month after the infamous New Years resolutions to see how often good or even noble intentions get left behind in the dust.

So, after recognizing all this a few months back,  some serious analysis has been happening  the last month or two, in an effort to give myself  in-depth views of areas I am lacking or need more work or improvements on.   And the more I looked objectively at what I think I know and what I don't know,  the more areas I discovered needed work. Too many areas to work on in the course of a year, no matter how often I fish.   Very sobering facts that I feel in retrospect have held me back without me even realizing it.

From what I've read and experienced, setting measurable attainable goals is the key to actually following through on making them a reality.  And thankfully, most of the items I finally settled on this year  are easily attainable.

To give you a better idea on some of what I am looking at, here  are just a few items:

GOALS 
  • Keep average trip prices to  below $250 per trip (thinning this cost allows for more trips on the same money over the course of the year)
  • Start hitting the Glacial Lake region in northeastern South Dakota ie Waubay, Roy, Enemy Swim. estimate about 2 trips in 2021
    • find affordable quality lodging in that area
  • Begin hitting the Mobridge, Cheyenne and Pollock areas on a regular basis as I look to improve my success rates in my walleye fishing campaigns.
  • Boat at least 3 salmon in 2021
  • Hit Lake Sakakawea 
2021 TARGETS-(SPECIES)
  • 28+" walleye
  • 40+" Northern Pike
  • 24+" Rainbow
  • 30" Catfish (any species)
  • Brown trout
  • Lake Trout
  • special target- to be named later

OBJECTIVES-GENERAL (FOUNDATIONAL and TECHNIQUES)
  • fish between 3-4 new in-state waterbodies the 2021 season, preferably of differing classifications.
  • fish between 2-4 new out of state waterbodies the 2021 season.
  • Fish approximately 250-300+ days in 2021
  • Get the boat out onto the water no less than once a week after Ice out up.
  • Work on bottom bouncer spinner rigging/crawler harness/mayfly rig fishing-walleye
  • Planer boards and Dipsy diver usage-walleye, trout, and salmon
  • slip bobbers-walleye
  • spoon trolling-walleye and salmon
  • better knowledge and awareness of depthfinder and capabilities

OBJECTIVES-OTHER
  • develop new tarping framework for versatrack rails in the Tracker
As you can see, most of these are measurable and the remaining items are either a simple yes/no answer.  I do have a bunch of other goals this year, but none that would warrant much more interest than these. Those listed have taken priority and these will be the ones I focus in on.  

So, its roughly about 60 days before the 2021 campaign starts its blitzkrieg across the midwest and parts of the western US.  And while I won't be fishing on a regular basis during this interim, I will be busy getting a lot of items, equipment, and tackle ready.  I'm chomping at the bit to get this show on the road, but I definitely have a little healing up to do from last years onslaught.  That 60 days should help out immensely and get me ready. So until the next blog entry



Keep those lines tight, those hooks sharp and the fish afraid










No comments:

Post a Comment